[Samba] Still problems with samba 3.4.1 / ldap and search for users ans machines

Rob Shinn morgan at tuxedo.darktech.org
Sat Sep 12 12:36:19 MDT 2009

John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:
> Of over 100 LADP Samba installation I have completed over 80%
> successfully use:
>
> uid='username',ou=People,ou=Users,<ldap_base_dn>
> uid='machine',ou=Computers,ou=Users,<ldap_base_dn>

Same here, though I use

uid='username', ou=people, <ldap_base_dn>
cn='machine', ou=hosts, <ldap_base_dn>

and make the object structure classes contain ipHost, posixAccount, and
sambaSamAccount,
which effectively lets me share LDAP hosts resolution and Samba machine
accounts under the same container :) (Yeah, I gotta be weird, I know...)
> If you follow chapter 5 of Samba3-ByExample, it should work for you too.
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

That's the book I started with and it's great material.  Thanks for
writing it!