[Samba] samba wins question

Luv Linux luvlinux2009 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:24:19 MDT 2009

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding samba's wins configuration in an environment
where samba has been  integrated with Windows 2003 Active Directory.  We do
not use WINS in our Active Directory environment and only use DNS.
We have 2 samba servers, let's say they are named samba1 and samba2.  samba1
is running 3.0.33-3.7.el5_3.1  and samba2 is running 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8.

Both of their configuration regarding WINS:
name resolve order = hosts lmhosts bcast
wins support = no
dns proxy = no

This seems to work fine but was wondering if there's a better configuration
that I should be using.
If this is not an ideal configuration, should I configure one of the samba
servers, let's say samba1 as WINS and thus, change the configuration on them
as follows?  Since we're not going to set WINS configuration on our Windows
client machines, they won't register to WINS on samba server though:

change samba1's smb.conf:
wins support = yes
dns proxy = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

change samba2's smb.conf:
wins server = IP of samba1
wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = yes
name resolve order = wins hosts lmhosts bcast