[Samba] Smbd process keep file locked

Dmitry Krilov (Scotia Capital) Dmitry_Krilov at scotiacapital.com
Fri Sep 11 06:59:29 MDT 2009

Guys

Can maybe someone help me to understand the nature of my problem.

1. I have Samba 3.0.32c with ADS on Solaris 9 server
2. Client run daily jobs from thr Windows which read data and write to
the log files on the samba share
3. Occasionally he started getting the problem that when job finished,
smbd process does not go away and lock the log file.
4. if I run trace on the process, it does nothing, just sleeps ...

It started few month ago without any changes from our end.

Here is from smb.conf:

[global]
        server string = Production Samba ver %v

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

        workgroup  = GROUP
        realm = GROUP.XXX.XXX.COM
        security = ADS
        password server = server1, server2
        encrypt passwords = yes
        allow trusted domains = yes
        username map = /opt/local/samba2/lib/users.map

        log file = /opt/local/samba2/logs/log.%m

        locking = yes
        lock directory = /opt/local/samba2/var/locks
        pid directory = /opt/local/samba2/var/locks
        share modes = yes
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes

        smb passwd file = /export/nfs2/samba2/private3023c/
        private dir = /export/nfs2/samba2/private3023c/
        netbios name = sbtorsamba2
        name resolve order = host bcast
        domain master = no
        domain logons = no
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = no
        interfaces = 192.168.253.85/28
        bind interfaces only = yes
        deadtime = 15

        preferred master = no
        local master     = no

        guest account = nobody
        guest ok = no

        syslog = 0

Sincerely,
Dmitry

---
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without copying, distributing or disclosing same. No member of the Scotiabank Group is liable for any errors or omissions in the content or transmission of this email or accepts any responsibility or liability for loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this transmission. Scotiabank Group may monitor, retain and/or review email. Trading instructions received by e-mail or voicemail will not be accepted or acted upon. Unless indicated in writing, opinions contained in this email are those of the author and are not endorsed by any member of the Scotiabank Group.

For information on some members of the Scotiabank Group: http://www.scotiacapital.com/EmailDisclaimer/English_entities.htm
For authorized users of the Scotia Capital trademark: http://www.scotiacapital.com/EmailDisclaimer/English_trademark.htm

Pour obtenir la traduction en français: http://www.scotiacapital.com/EmailDisclaimer/French.htm
Traducción en español: http://www.scotiacapital.com/EmailDisclaimer/Spanish.htm