[Samba] Samba & LDAP: "Unable to allocate a new user id: bailing out!"

Christian Geiger c.geiger at lohrmann.de
Wed Oct 28 09:32:35 MDT 2009

Hi!

I'm currently setting up a Samba 3 PDC. So far I managed to setup Samba
with an OpenLDAP backend, but adding a user with the command "net rpc
user add mg password -U root" results in the following error:

Failed to add user 'mg' with: WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE.

In the logfile it says:

[2009/10/28 15:56:28,  0] passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_create_user(5119)
   ldapsam_create_user: Unable to allocate a new user id: bailing out!

Unfortunately I cannot find any other hint on what the reason could be.
Has someone an idea what I might have misconfigured?

Below's my smb.conf. The samba-user has granted the rights to manage the
whole domain-tree (olcAccess = {0}to dn.sub="dc=lohrmann,dc=de" by
dn="cn=samba,dc=lohrmann,dc=de" manage by * break).

Thx a lot in advance!

Chris

--------

smb.conf:

[global]

    workgroup = LOHRMANN.DE
    domain logons = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 65

    passdb backend = ldapsam
    ldap admin dn = cn=samba,dc=lohrmann,dc=de
    ldap suffix = dc=lohrmann,dc=de
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
    ldap user suffix = ou=users