[Samba] tdb locking issue - Solaris 10 and Samba 3.0.33

Fri Oct 23 15:37:15 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 02:18:19PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> (Yes, I should upgrade Samba to 3.0.35).
>
> We're running the Sun provided Samba daemon (SUNWsmbau and friends) on
> Solaris 10 Generic_138888-08 (sparc).
>
> Lots of Windows clients (mixed XP, 2003, 2008) hit this server and
> periodically we'll start seeing smbd processes begin piling up.  These
> processes can't be killed with a normal kill -- only kill -9 will do
> the trick.

Probably someone else is holding the same lock for some
reason and is stuck in a file system syscall.

Under Linux you would look at /proc/locks to find that info,
no idea how to find the current lock holder under Solaris.
You need to find that one and see what syscall that guy is
stuck in.

BTW, you don't happen to run something like samfs?

Volker