[Samba] Move samba server

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Sat Oct 17 12:48:56 MDT 2009

Alejandro Rodriguez Luna wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I got a new servers and I'd like to move the old ones to the news, I know that to move samba, I need to move the SID. anybody knows a howto, o where I can find documentation to move the SID along with the users and machines.
>
> P.D. Currently the samba server is the PDC.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Alejandro Rodriguez Luna
>
> Web: http://www.alexluna.org
>
> E-mail: el_alexluna at yahoo.com.mx
>
> MSN: el_alexluna at yahoo.com.mx
>
> GTalk: alexluna at gmail.com
>
> Movil: 044-311-112-86-41

>       Encuentra las mejores recetas en Yahoo! Cocina.
> http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/

Basically, if your smb.conf and all the .tdb databases get moved, you
should be good to go. Just make sure that your local accounts and
machine name are the same as on the old server and the move should be
transparent to the users.

You can also look at the the vampire mode for moving your Samba setup
from one machine to another. It's been a while since I've done this, but
it wasn't overly difficult.