[Samba] How to bulk add machine accounts during PDC hardware refresh?

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Mon Oct 5 14:24:49 MDT 2009

On Montag, 5. Oktober 2009 wrote Eero Volotinen:
> Michael Lueck kirjoitti:
> > John Drescher wrote:
> >> I would not remove the old entries. If you are using ldap
> >> replicate the openldap first. If you are using tdbsam copy the
> >> /var/lib/samba folder.
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot to mention that no LDAP or anything "fancy" is
> > involved. So Samba has made entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group,
> > and that is what I am interested in moving properly.
>
> just copy and paste entries to /etc/passwd and /etc/group ?
Sounds usable, but do not do this.
You may get massiv problems :-( .

You need passwd AND shadow for the users, but normaly NOT the hole file.
The system accounts may be different on your new system, so identify the
min and max uidnumber for regular users and copy only these users. Do
the same with the shadow file. AND make backups.

Same thing with groups. Identify your min and max gidnumber and copy
only these groups.

Maybe you need to transform some uid/gid-numbers :-) .

--

Gruss
	Harry Jede