[Samba] Computers leaving samba domain

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Thu Oct 1 09:20:36 MDT 2009

On Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009 wrote sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us:
> sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
> > I am not sure if this is where I need to ask this or not, but I am
> > lost to where to start even.
> >
> > I had 7 computers in one lab that would not login.  It gave the
> > standard "computer account password bad or domain not found".  I
> > had another 9 computer in my other lab do the same thing.  It seems
> > that they have suddenly started losing the domain.  I can add them
> > to a workgroup and then re-add them back to the domain and they are
> > fine.
> >
> > I am just scared that they are going to lose the domain again.  I
> > cannot spend all of my time going around removing computers and
> > adding them back to the domain each day.  Any ideas of what could
> > cause this?  Client issue?  Samba issue?  ldap issue?
> >
> > The clients are all Windows XP service pack 3 and the server is a
> > Fedora 10 server running samba and ldap.
> >
> > Usually the only time that I have this happen is if I accidentally
> > add another computer to the domain with the same name.  I
> > understand that, but I have not done that on any of these.
> >
> > One lab has brand new computers.  The other lab just got imaged day
> > before yesterday.  I'll go ahead and get them all added back in,
> > but I need to find what to be looking for if they keep doing this.
> > Thanks.
>
> This may be an ldap question.
Maybe you have wrong acl statements in your LDAP-Server :-( .

> I was looking at the machines info and
> I checked on about 5 of them.  For some reason it is showing that the
> sambaPwdLastSet has changed in the last couple of days.  Is this
> supposed to ever change for machines if you do not remove them from a
> domain and then add them back in?  I would think it would always stay
> the same.
No, Windows machines will change their password on a regulare time
interval. I do not remember the exact days.

You must allow them to change the password field an one other. Search
this list or look into the good samba documentation :-)

--

Gruss
	Harry Jede