[Samba] samba 3.4.3 DC breaks Windows groups

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 15:57:07 MST 2009

I consolidated group entries as described in the previous post.

By mistake, I initially set same SID for the "Domain Users" and "Domain
Guests."      So "net rpc user info someuser" would display the wrong
output.  I fixed this but had to my Samba 3.0.x BDC to get the update to
stick.  I also zapped all the *cache*.tdb files on that machine, which
may have been a mistake.

Initially the Samba 3.0.x BDC would not start.  smb.conf had the "guest
account = nobody" entry, which had worked in the past.  However, the
error logs that "nobody" no longer existed. I had to create an
ldap/samba "smb_nobody" user and group and update smb.conf for "guest
account = smb_nobody."  At that point samba would start, however, I
could not view or access either the samba server in network
neighborhood, or access any shares via "net use..." or "smbclient ..."

For the moment, I have reverted to the earlier smb.conf and disabled
samba 3.4.x.   My guess is that samba choked on loading groups that did
not have a proper SID.  I have about 230 unix/ldap groups and didn't
want to have to create an explicit group mapping (SID entry) for each group.