[Samba] support for new zfs user/group quotas

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Nov 20 11:31:00 MST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 04:46:03PM -0800, Tom Lieuallen wrote:
> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:36:39AM -0800, Tom Lieuallen wrote:
>>> Are there plans for supporting the user and group quotas that Solaris
>>>  ZFS now supports as of Solaris 10 11/09?
>>>
>>> I'm testing with samba 3.3.7, compiled with '--with-quotas' that
>>> works  with UFS quotas.  Windows clients see the overall ZFS file
>>> system usage  and capacity, not the user's personal usage and space.
>>> One can use  'quota -v' to check a user's zfs quota; the same command
>>> one uses for  UFS quotas.  I highly suspect they just changed the
>>> quota command to  support both and similar changes would be necessary
>>> to the quota support  in samba.
>>>
>>> I also tried using the 'get quota command', but it's not working for
>>> me.   I wonder if it's because samba was compiled with
>>> '--with-quotas'.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> What is the difference in the quota API for ZFS ? We need
>> someone to donate quota supporting code for that API and I'll
>> add it for 3.5.0.
>>
>> Jeremy.
>
> I have looked around for the ZFS API, but it appears like Sun hasn't
> released it; at least not into the wild.  Perhaps those in the 'Sun
> Developer' camp have access to such things.
>
> If there is a defined relationship between Sun and samba, perhaps there
> is a contact that could put this on their todo list or pony up the
> needed information.

I wish there was. There are some helpful Sun engineers in sustaining
engineering, but Sun's relationship to Samba has gotten very frosty
since they crammed their Procom-bought CIFS server into the OpenSolaris
kernel.

It's a shame, Solaris used to be one of our major platforms and
could be again if they decided to help third-party developers instead
of hindering them with non-third-party available API's etc. Yeah
we could just look in the kernel code but they should be making
this stuff available in a stable, supported fashion.

Oh well, maybe when Oracle cans the Solaris in-kernel server as a nasty
security problem then they'll come around :-).

Jeremy.