[Samba] Samba + WinXP Home

Mumia W.. paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 19 04:47:48 MST 2009

Hello. I'm trying to get Samba 3.2.5 working with Windows XP Home.
Reputedly, XP Home still has peer-to-peer networking, so that's what I'm
trying to use, but I can't get it to work. Samba is set up on my Debian
Lenny machine, and I can contact the shares using smbclient, but I can't
get Windows Explorer to see the shares.

For the last four days, I've been searching the net trying to find out
how to do this.

I'm using bluetooth, but that shouldn't be a problem. My firewall is
open on the bluetooth connection, and pings work fine between both
machines. Anyway, the problem remains even when the firewall is down.

Can someone please help me get XP Home to see the Samba shares?

I'm using Samba 3.2.5 with Debian 5.0 (i386) and Windows XP Home SP3.

My smb.conf is here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/docs/smb-sanit.txt