[Samba] DC priority, BDC prob with domain groups

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:48:06 MST 2009

There was an incorrect entry in smb.conf on BDC1 which mean it was not
registering in WINS as a bdc.  According to the Samba How To
documentation, all other things being equal, Windows clients will use a
bdc rather than a pdc.

Now when I logon, I may get any of the three domain controllers.  When I
get BDC1 (Samba 3.0.37) I don't seem have problems.

So my following problems remain:
      Can I adjust some variable so that one DC is more likely to be
used by windows clients than another?
      Why does Samba 3.4.3 not seem to handle domain groups as members
of local groups?

If I connect from XP Pro client GATES

[2009/11/16 17:34:46,  3] auth/auth.c:222(check_ntlm_password)
   check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[]\[]@[GATES] with t
he new password interface
[2009/11/16 17:34:46,  3] auth/auth.c:225(check_ntlm_password)
   check_ntlm_password:  mapped user is: [DOMAIN]\[]@[GATES]

It also looks like I may not get the same logon server each time I
logon-  so I guess my PC could have authenticated against one DC, and I
could authenticate against another.

Thanks