[Samba] Samba, IPv6, turning off NetBT and Network discovery

Mon Nov 16 09:01:52 MST 2009

Hi,

I hope this hasn't already been discussed to death, but I didn't find the answer through Google.

In short, my question is: how can I advertise a Samba server through UPnP/Network Discovery? I'm currently using Samba 3.2.6, but should be able to upgrade if needed.

I am trying to build an IPv6-only network, for now just for testing purposes. The problem I am having is that Microsoft no longer supports NetBT on IPv6. Samba itself, of course, works fine over port 445, but without NetBIOS or WINS, there is no mechanism to browse the network (i.e., the list of computers under "Network" is empty).

Microsoft's answer is Network Discovery (the new name for UPnP). Does Samba support UPnP, or how else should I get this to work?

Thanks!

Kevin