[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 07:14:12 MST 2009

2009/11/7 Barry L. Bond <bbond at cfl.rr.com>:
> Hi Michael and everyone else!
>
>> Something else you might like to try is backing up your smb.conf file
>> and starting very simply based on this:
>>
>> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2554870
>
>     Here is my latest attempt at an smb.conf file, set up almost exactly as in
> this web page, and I have since added just a couple of things:
>
> <<>>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>   workgroup = WORKGROUP
>   netbios name = BARRYCON
>   interfaces = eth0
>        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
>   security = share
>        printcap name = cups
>   disable spoolss = Yes
>   show add printer wizard = No
>   printing = cups
>
> [printers]
>        comment = All Printers
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>   guest ok = Yes
>        printable = Yes
>   use client driver = Yes
>        browseable = No
> <<>>
>
>     I don't think I'm communicating at all between the Windows Vista system
> and the Linux system.
>
>     I think I need to set up something in my Advanced portion of my D-Link
> router.

Most likely your D-Link router has a built in 4 port switch and does
not control access between these 4 ports, so I doubt you need to do
anything on the D-Link router.

>     For example, I have a GadSpot DVR set up, with the two ports mapped.  For
> example, one port is 8080, so I have:
[...]

My understanding is that this is to allow you to connect to your DVR
from the Internet.  So unless you want to connect to Samba from the
Internet, I very much doubt you need to configure anything on the
D-Link router.

>     What port(s) should I allow for Samba?
[...]

See Eero's message.  However, I think this could be leading you down
the wrong path.

First make sure you can ping the Ultra 30 from the Windows box and
vice versa.  Then make sure you can ping the Linux box from the Ultra
30 and vice versa.  Then make sure you can ping the Linux box from the
Window box and vice versa.

For the above to work, you may have to disable firewalls on the
Windows box, the Linux box and the Ultra 30.  Of course you could also
allow the necessary things in the firewalls instead of disabling them.

Also, the Ultra 30 must be configured to route traffic between its
interfaces.  If you can connect to the Internet from the Linux box
then this should be OK.

I think you should configure the Windows box to use the Linux box as a
WINS server after making sure that your smb.conf file has "wins
support = yes" in the global section.

I hope this gets you a bit further.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>