[Samba] samba & libiconv

theHog lists at t3i.nl
Tue Nov 3 13:49:02 MST 2009

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
From: Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 11:01:24PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:43:42PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > > No. Samba needs libiconv to do the utf8 <--> UCS2 translations for
> > > clients.
> >
> > Hmm. I thought we do *that* one ourselves. I thought we need
> > libiconv just for the other charsets.
>
> Ohh - yes you're right - we do several builtin, by preference
> too. I thought we used to always call iconv by preference and
> then fall back if we couldn't find it, but that's not right.
>
> We have:
>
> "UTF8", "ASCII", "ISO-8859-1" buit in...

So, is the following correct?

- Samba 3 uses UTF8 on the filesystem side (read&write filenames) by default
for linux filsystems (ext3, ext4, reiserfs).
- On the client side Samba translates filenames from the client encoding to
UTF8 and vice versa.
- Modern linux distributions use UTF8 encoding
- Windows XP/Vista/7 uses ... UCS2 ?
- MAC OS uses ... UTF8 ?

And thus one does not need iconv unless Samba needs to write/read file
systems that have a filename encoding that is not built-in in Samba (e.g. DOS
codepages, ISO-8859-15, etc.)

Maybe I misinterpret something here?

Thanks