[Samba] Please translate M$ speak: create a new organizational unit

Gary Greene greeneg at altimatos.com
Mon May 18 14:58:08 GMT 2009

On Monday 18 May 2009 05:49:32 am Michael Ströder wrote:
> Miguel Medalha wrote:
> >>     I am a bit new to Samba PDC.  When a M$ tech article says:
> >> "Use Active Directory Users and Computers to create a new
> >> organizational unit (OU)".  What does this mean in Samba PDC talk?
> >> Please translate.
> >
> > That is LDAP terminology, not MS's.
>
> Hmm, yes and no. In MS AD a OU means a little bit more than in pure LDAP.
> In AD you create a OU
> 1. to delegate the administration of a subset of users, groups and
> computers  and
> 2. to attach a group policy to a subset of users and computers.
>
> This will be relevant for Samba4.
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Yes, and if you wanted you can do the same things in OpenLDAP using custom
tree ACLs, or using Puppet or CFengine get the equivalent aspect regarding
GPO for UNIX-like boxes with a little glue code to act on the OU of the user
logged in or the Computer account.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net