[Samba] authenticate Linux users to AD on Windows 2003R2

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Fri May 15 04:20:14 GMT 2009

Well, not exactly Samba related... but we have a file server that runs
Samba for Windows clients and NFS for the Linux ones on the same
folders.  Both authenticate against AD (we're running 2003 with SFU 3.5,
not R2).  We have uid/gid/home folder info in AD.  Linux machines mount
the file share /home from the files server for all home folders (fstab
on the local machine) and then we use ldap in nsswitch to get the
correct path to the users home folder, which is then there for them and
they have access to once they've logged in.  _GOT_ to make sure your
uid/gid info in AD matches the uid/gid info on the nfs share, we use
wbinfo and "idmap=rid" in smb.conf to script consistent uid/gids for our
folders (Perl is your friend!)

We use ldap in nsswitch because we have a "non-samba" layout for our
home folders, ie. it's not /home/yourdomain/username, but if you can
have that setup then you can simplify things a bit by using winbind in
nsswitch and you get the "standard" path for your home folder.  As I
said, just make sure you've already mounted the /home on the client
through fstab.  There are pretty good tutorials out there on most parts
of this for Debian/Ubuntu if you Google it (probably other Distros too,
I'm just biased!).

Of course I'm running a Linux File server, you'll need to use Server
2003 R2's nfs abilities which I've never tried, but it claims to be able
to do it.  Or you could move your file server over to Linux/Samba/nfs!!

Let me know how it works out!  I can give you more specific details if
you want, but probably best off list I would think as it's not exactly
Samba...

Steve

--
Steve Rippl