[Samba] Text File Corruption Writing from Windows to Linux NFS Share.

shunter at ddci.com shunter at ddci.com
Mon Mar 23 21:58:05 GMT 2009

The Windows 2003 machine is a raid array data server that provides both
Windows and UNIX/Linux shares (NFS).  Some users prefer a Windows browser
for copying or editing files.  An older Samba on an older Linux machine
(Mandrake 10.2) provided this service until recently.

S.H.H.

Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE>
03/23/2009 02:38 PM
Please respond to
Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE

shunter at ddci.com
cc
samba at lists.samba.org
Subject
Re: [Samba] Text File Corruption Writing from Windows to Linux NFS Share.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:06:34PM -0700, shunter at ddci.com wrote:
> Do SFU shares need to be mounted with some "special" switch on the RHEL
> machine for Samba to be able to write to them?  Is there some obscure
> Samba configuration switch that I've missed?

Wow, that's a twisted net of mounts. To get you right:

You use the SFU NFS server to mount -t nfs on a RHEL box.
You use Samba to re-export this to a Windows XP machine.
You get file corruption when writing to that samba export.

Right?

Question: Why don't you just mount directly from W2k3? And,
you might just try "posix locking = no" and "kernel oplocks
= no" in your smb.conf.

Volker

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender of this E-Mail by return E-Mail or by telephone.