[Samba] Server 2008 and Samba 3.0.25b

Alainna C. White alainna at pha.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 19 15:11:18 GMT 2009

Hi Folks -

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with Server 2008 machines (for
all intents and purposes related to Samba, it's Vista) connecting to a
Samba Server.  The Samba machine is a RHEL4.6 machine running Samba
3.0.25b.  I am joined to the mixed mode AD domain via the command "net
rpc join -U administrator <domain>".  I am not using winbind or
kerberos.  Or at least, I am not trying to.  The smb.conf file is at the
bottom of this email.  I've removed things like disallowed users from
the file to keep it brief.

I have another samba machine with the very same OS and release, and it
works fine.

When I try to connect to the Samba machine from the 2k8 machine using
the UNC path, I get a "network path not found" message.  Oddly, if I use
'\\ipaddress' it works just fine.

I used Wireshark to look at the packets, and there is one glaring
difference between the working samba install and the non-working samba
install: in the Session Setup andX Request packet  (under the "security
blob") that the client sends to the samba server,  the working one lists
one mechtype: NTLMSSP.  The non-working one lists three mechtypes: MS
KRB5, KRB5, NTLMSSP, in that order.  The non-working one has a krb5
ticket further down in the packet.

Samba logs show an error:
Failed to parse NTLMSSP packet, could not extract NTLMSSP command
[2009/03/18 10:39:36, 1] libsmb/ntlmssp.c:ntlmssp_update(327)

I don't think it should be able to parse the NTLMSSP packet, since it
isn't an NTLMSSP packet.  It's a KRB5 ticket.  At least, to the best
that I can understand

I have tried copying the working SMB.CONF file to the non-working host,
and that didn't help at all.

To me it seems like the client is requesting KRB5 authentication.  I'm
not good enough with network packets to see if the server requested that
type of session, but as far as I can tell it did not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alainna

--------SMB.CONF-----------