[Samba] Postfix and Samba best practice

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 16 10:44:28 GMT 2009

> My question is this:
> Is it better to store the mail somewhere else entirely - i.e.
> /var/mail/users or something or a new home directory (/home/mailstorage)
> or something?  In which case how best to set up permissions?  It seems
> that when the mail is stored it gets the username as the owner:group.
> This should mean that logging in over imap should allow that user to
> read/manipulate mail

Yes, use Cyrus IMAPd, which uses a sealed mailstore, and don't access
your mailbox through anything other than a mail related protocol
(IMAP/POP).

> Or should I try to share out a different directory via Samba.  I.e.
> Leave the mail in /home/username/.Maildir and get Samba to share out
> /home/username/samba for example?

You can also continue your current setup and just use Samba's veto files
directive in the home directory share to hide whatever directory
contains the user's mail

[homedir]
  veto files = /.Maildir/

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org