[Samba] 1MB/s gigabit transfers on dell poweredge

Sat Mar 14 07:17:21 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:53:11PM -0500, John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:
> My home network running Samba-3.3.1 over 1 Gigabit ethernet transfers up
> to 90 Mbytes/sec.  The file system is ext3 on a Multidisk RAID5 array
> that consists of 4x1TB Seagate SATA drives.

Hey, bragging time :-)

Using one 3.2 smbclient against smbd reading off RAM disk
I've seen more than 700MBytes/second over 10GigE where the
raw TCP speed was not much more than that.

With real client apps reading consecutive small files using
the just-added preopen module the performance was more than
300MBytes/second. But here we had to hand-tune the server
using the preopen module to completely hide the file system
latencies.

Executive summary: smbd is no real bottleneck, it's client
behaviour and the rest of the infrastructure that limits
you. Performance tuning to those numbers is not really easy
though, you really have to look at all components on the
path from the Win32 app down to the raw rotating disk.

Volker