[Samba] nmbd-daemon fails on startup without error

Onotsky, Steve x55328 Steve.Onotsky at broadridge.com
Wed Mar 11 15:53:55 GMT 2009

I got bitten by something similar, and it turned out to be related to SELinux restricting nmbd but not smbd.

Check your SELinux config file for the "SELINIX=" parameter (/etc/selinux/config on RHEL).  If it's "enforcing", that could well be your problem.  If your host is reasonably otherwise protected, try setting to "permissive" and see if that helps.  If it does, start doing your research on how to exclude nmbd from being denied by SELinux, and set the config parameter back to "enforcing".

Cheers

Steve Onotsky
Server Support Technologist
Broadridge
Investor Communication Solutions, Canada
5970 Chedworth Way
Mississauga  ON  L5R 4G5
Tel: (905) 507-5328
Fax: (905) 507-5312