[Samba] ldap group authentication refresh

Arthur Odekerken odekerken at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:32:42 GMT 2009

Hi,
I have succesfully setup a Samba server with OpenLDAP authentication.
I also managed to authenticate against groups in my LDAP tree, so far so
good.

The only problem is that whenever I add or remove an entry from the LDAP
group, samba doesn't see that immediately. When I restart the samba daemon,
it does pick up the change in the LDAP group.
Can anybody tell me how I can refresh the authentication, without restarting
the daemon?

I am using samba version 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 on CentOS release 5.2 (Final) and
OpenLDAP version 2.3.27.

My samba config:
[global]
netbios name = SAMBA
server string = %h
workgroup = DOMAIN.TLD
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
ldap passwd sync = yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.domain.tld
ldap admin dn = cn=root,ou=hasselt.be,o=hasselt,c=be
ldap suffix = o=hasselt,c=be
ldap group suffix = ou=groups
ldap user suffix = ou=hasselt.be
enable privileges = yes
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
case sensitive = no
default case = lower
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
dns proxy = no
printcap name = /etc/printcap
log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
nt acl support = Yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
level2 oplocks = True

My slapd.conf:
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/qmail.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema

allow bind_v2
pidfile         /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.args

TLSCACertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
TLSCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/slapd.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/slapd.pem

database        bdb
directory       /var/lib/ldap

index objectClass               eq
index uid                       eq
index cn                        eq,pres
index sn                        eq,pres,sub
index mail                      eq,pres
index mailAlternateAddress      eq,pres
index memberUid                 eq,pres
index displayName               eq,pres