[Samba] Linux member server, or something else?

Norberto Bensa nbensa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:32:13 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM, David Markey<dmarkey at dodds.dmarkey.com> wrote:
> It's possible to use nss_ldap and idmap backend = nss and no winbind, like
> you are describing.

Why do I need idmap? I mean, from what I understand, idmap only
purpose is to help winbind ensure uid and gid are the same across
servers. If I use LDAP to store users accounts and groups, these id
are the same.

> It's also possible to use nss_winbind and no nss_ldap, however there has
> been a bug on the server side that has stopped this from working. So the
> option above is your only option unless you have a version of samba on the
> server side that isn't affected by the bug.

In the past, winbind used to give headaches. I want to avoid it if I can :-)

> Regards,
>
> David

Thanks!

Norberto