[Samba] "No data on inotify fd" error

MargoAndTodd margoandtodd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 21:22:50 GMT 2009

Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 03:45:32PM -0700, MargoAndTodd wrote:
>> My poor /var/log/messages is getting hammered with:
>>
>>       smbd[16076]:   No data on inotify fd?!
>>
>>       smbd[16076]: [2009/06/25 13:21:18, 0] \
>>           smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(249)
>>
>> Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any idea
>> what this is all about?
>
> Is there any way to reproduce this? Till we really fix this,
> can you try the attached workaround patch? This will reduce
> the number of messages a lot.

Hi Volker,

What triggered this was my root partition filling.  I
go to this customer on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  I get
a nightly backup report, which I have included a
"df" on my hard drives.  My root partition went
from typical 56% capacity to 86%.  After cleaning
everything up, it dropped to 46%.

So, I installed a months worth of YUM updates, including
a kernel update.  Since this is a running server, I could
not reboot after the kernel update.  So I set it to
reboot at 8:00 PM (20:00).  Since then, with the
fine offices of logrotate, my root partition
has dropped to 27%.  So there is a very big possibility
that the kernel update and/or the reboot did the trick.

But, I will check next Tuesday or Thursday.

I am not sure how to duplicate this.  And, am a bit
cautious about sending this to Samba's bugzilla, being
that it is older Red Hat Enterprise stuff.  If I can
duplicate this, I should report it to Red Hat.

-T