[Samba] Samba configuration issue

David Christensen David.Christensen at viveli.com
Fri Jun 26 22:12:07 GMT 2009

David Christensen wrote:
> John H Terpstra - Samba Team wrote:
>> David Christensen wrote:

>>>  I do have /etc/samba/smbusers in which there is a mapping
>>> as follows:
>>>
>>> root = administrator
>>>
>>> However it was not specified in smb.conf until today, when I tried to
>>> "use" it.
>> OK, but what does testparm tell you about the default configuration for
>> your system?
>
>> 	testparm -sv | grep username
>
>> If the parameter "username map" is not mapped to /etc/samba/smbusers,
>> the issue is isolated to the mappings of the "root" and "administrator"
>> accounts and their respective uid/gid.
>
>> - John T.
>
> "username map" is no longer mapped to /etc/samba/smbusers, I commented
> it out so it looks like the issue is indeed isolated to the mappings of
> the root and administrator accounts.
>
> How do I permit the Administrator account the access level it needs
> without squashing root on every box?
>
> This is what I currently have:
>
> [root at ldap2 profiles]# getent passwd | grep :0:0
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> Administrator:x:0:0:Samba Admin:/root:/bin/bash

Looks like I figured it out, I deleted the Administrator account in
LDAP, re-enabled the /etc/samba/smbusers file in smb.conf, and then
added root to the password backend.  I was able to login as
Administrator and the account no longer squashed root.  Is there is a
known issue with using the method I did?