[Samba] Very slow transfers to Samba on Ubuntu

Raghu A raghua1111+nabble at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:42:18 GMT 2009

Well, 1KB is infact the culprit and it seems to be an artifact of the
application. SMB seems to use one packet for each "write()" call from the
app. So my cygwin command on XP (cat file > remote_file) must be calling
write(1KB). I controlled this write size with dd command and sure enough I
hit the 100Mbps limit with 64KB writes. I wish we could ask client to buffer
user writes..

Hopefully this helps others noticing similar issue. Is there another mailing
list or forum for help on Samba issues? I was hoping to get some real help
in debugging issue and provided pretty detailed info (and am willing to
provide more) :(. I still have more concerns but...