[Samba] Samba 3.0.24 on OpenWRT

Kunal Punjabi kpunjabi at ubicom.com
Tue Jun 16 00:16:54 GMT 2009

Hi,

We have managed to compile samba3 (v 3.0.24 that ships with openwrt/
kamizake) for our ubicom32 platform and programmed a board with it,
however I am not able to access a samba share on the board. When trying
to access the OpenWRT router (using the smbclient command) I get:

Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

The device is reachable from my linux box (otherwise I should have seen
a Error NT_STATUS_HOST_UNREACHABLE)

I am hoping you can help us out. Below is a small list of
observations/questions:

1.     I noticed that the nmbd service is not recognized by our console.
I don't know why that is the case, but the 'smbd' service is. Samba 3
doesn't provide any such menuconfig option to turn nmbd on or off. After
reading the documentation, I learned that nmbd is used for name
registration and resolution requests, and should be started BEFORE smbd.
It looks like under openwrt/build_dir/ubicom32/samba-3.0.24/source/bin,
smbd is present but nmbd is not. It is not getting compiled for some
reason, and the default samba compilation did not compile it or complain
of it not being compiled. I found the target in the Makefile under
samba-3.0.24/source - I believe it is called bin/nmbd (line 948), and it
is called by SBIN_PROGS (line 157). But it still does not get compiled
in with the samba binary.

Is the nmbd service required in 3.0.24? If so, why is it not built by
default?

According to the samba spec:

The Samba server is made up of the following daemons:

nmbd This daemon handles all name registration and resolution requests.

It is the primary vehicle involved in network browsing. It handles all

UDP-based protocols. The nmbd daemon should be the first command

started as part of the Samba startup process.

smbd This daemon handles all TCP/IP-based connection services for
fileand

print-based operations. It also manages local authentication. It

should be started immediately following the startup of nmbd.

2.     Is it possible that smb.conf isnt configured correctly. This is a
snippet of smb.conf from the openwrt router board (/etc/samba/smb.conf)

[global]

        netbios name = openwrt

        workgroup = openwrt

        server string = openwrt

        syslog = 10

        encrypt passwords = true

        passdb backend = smbpasswd

        obey pam restrictions = yes

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

        unix charset = ISO-8859-1

        preferred master = yes

        os level = 20

        security = user

        guest account = nobody

        invalid users = root

        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[homes]

        comment = Home Directories

        browseable = no

        read only = no

        create mode = 0750

Has anyone tried samba v 3.0.24 on OpenWRT, and does it work for you? Do
you know what the problem could be here and why accessing the share via
the

Smbclient -L  //hostname/share -U <username>  command does not work?

Thanks

Kunal