[Samba] root and/or administrator not allowed

Edward Ned Harvey samba at nedharvey.com
Fri Jun 12 02:47:21 GMT 2009

I think I answer more questions than I ask here, but now it's my turn - I
can't seem to figure out what I should change here, and it don't make no
sense to me .

I have a samba fileserver.  I am not using winbind.  I am using NIS for
UID/GID lookup.  I am using AD via Kerberos for authentication.  Also I used
"net join" so it's all very well integrated with AD.  Normal (non-root)
users can simply browse to \\filer <file:///\\filer>  and they're
automatically authenticated, and all the umasks and UID/GID are handled
correctly.  However -

If Administrator tries to browse to \\filer <file:///\\filer> , then it
prompts for username and pass.  I enter any combination of "root" or
"administrator" or "DOMAIN\username" or "username at domain" and it will never
authenticate as administrator - only normal users can connect.  While trying
to figure it out, I went as far as assigning a new UID (not zero) to the
"administrator" user, to make the administrator really remarkably similar to
a normal user, and still no luck.

I also checked .  I have not set anything for "invalid users" or "valid
users"

Can't think of anything else to try .

Any suggestions?