[Samba] password authentification

BeefStu BeefStu beefstu350 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:33:10 GMT 2009

Since I am totally lost can somebody please walk me through this? My goal is to use AD to do password

authentification and NOT need a password file with in SAMBA. The reason being is we have a policy that

our domain password expires every 60 days and I don't want to keep 2 passwords files in sync.

I am curretly running samba on an AIX 5.3 machine.

# uname -a
AIX diamond 3 5 000C86CF4C00

This is the what I think I need in my smb.conf file in order to use AD for password validation.

Is this okay? Am I missing some settings?

[global]
        workgroup = hshhp
        security = DOMAIN
        auth methods = ntdomain
        password server = ttndc3
        max xmit = 65535
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        ldap ssl = no
        oplocks = no

Assume that this is all I have setup so far, what next? In the email below, it mentions winbind? Can I dowload

that for AIX 5.3, does this come with the OS (if so do I have to install it from a particular module). I only care about

AIX since that is where my SAMBA is running.

Next, in the article below I see all this talk about Kerbos, do I need that? I was under the impression that samba had

Kerbos compiled into its executable. Am I mistaken.

Basically, what I am looking for is a step by step instrucution or detailed documentaiton on how to get this to work on AIX.

Thanks to all who answer.