[Samba] How to use local profiles in samba PDC?

Kyle Schmitt kyleaschmitt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:47:19 MDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Miguel Medalha<miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
>> Ah. I thought that the stanza would just disable roaming profiles.
>> logon path =
> I misunderstood your question because your subject line says "How to use
> local profiles in samba PDC".
>
> Well, you must have a "netlogon" share containing a "Default User" profile.
> The process is described in the Samba documents I pointed you to.

I was hoping to use a mix, and not just one or the other.  I did try
having a "Default User" profile in netlogon, and in profiles, but it
didn't do anything.  I tried with various permissions and ownerships,
with a blank directory, with a blank directory tree (empty dirs for
the common things like My documents, etc), and with a copy of the
"Default User" directory from an XP Pro box.  None of the combinations
seemed to work.  I'm not positive I tried all combinations in both
netlogon and profiles though.

The samba PDC will replace an old NT domain we have here, so to start
with, it needs to support local profiles.  I'd like to move to
roaming, with the redirection, but the important part right now is
that local work.

So far the only way I've gotten local profiles to work is by disabling
roaming via the "logon path = " line you suggested.  Before disabling
them I was playing with the redirected folders via an NTConfig.POL
file I made using the custom.adm template from
http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html .  The results were
mixed, but that was probably due to my being new to it.

Anyway I digress.  You say that if I enable roaming profiles, and have
a "Default User" profile in netlogon, I should be able to have a mix
of local and roaming profiles?

--Kyle