[Samba] winbind and getent

Quinn Fissler qfissler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 05:08:36 MDT 2009

The different behaviours are caused by the fact that the two methods
do different things...

They use different libraries and configuration files.

I'm not near a linux box with SaMBa today so I can't show you examples.

You should tell us more about what you're running...

In any case, the first thing to check is /etc/nsswitch.conf

Then look at how you configured AD integration - was it with OpenLDAP?

Check your ldap.conf - you might find more than one...
/etc/ldap.conf?
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf?

Which binding credentials do you use?

How about the TLS options?

What about if you query the ldap server with ldapsearch?

A quick web search yields some articles which might help you check
your approach:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55301455
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.12.linux.aspx
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/40983