[Samba] SAMBA 3.0.3x and Sun Java One Directory Server 5.2 LDAP authentication

Robert Mottishaw mottrobe at isu.edu
Fri Jul 24 11:44:58 MDT 2009

Breaking it down more specifically, what values are needed for LDAP
authentication in SAMBA, in the smb.conf file?  I have the following set in
/etc/sfw/smb.conf:

# Backend to store user information in. New installations should
# use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
# compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://xxx.xx.x.x:xxx
  ldap admin dn = ??=??,?=??,?=??
  ldap group suffix = ou=groups
  ldap user suffix = ou=people
  ldap suffix = ?=??,?=??
  ldap server = xxx.xx.x.xx
  ldap port = 389
#  ldap ssl = no
   domain logons = no

The x's and ?'s are to mask the real IP addresses and sensitive LDAP
information.  The smb.conf worked great when using /etc/passwd as the
authentication database.

Here's a bit from the SAMBA log.smbd log file, the same message repeated 15
times:

smbd/server.c:(1057)
  ERROR: failed to setup guest info.