[Samba] samba server version removal

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Wed Jul 22 13:47:34 MDT 2009

Is there some way to remove that label from showing up on the shares on
the windows client?  I tell my teachers to look for the F: drive or
whichever drive, but for some reason MS in their infinite wisdom puts the
drive letter at the end of the share so it does not show up unless the
windows is expanded so that it can be seen. (and even though I have told
them how to see the letter, most cannot remember that.)

My shares are always like the following:

"share on samba 'Samba Server Version ..... (share)(F:)"

I have tried commenting out the 'Server String =' in the config and even
setting it to something like 'Server String =', but it shows the same
thing anyways.

Thanks for any info.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?