[Samba] samba ldap problem

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Fri Jul 17 05:25:25 MDT 2009

Am 16.07.2009 um 18:01 schrieb Mischa Diehm:

> [...]
> samba package things look different:
>
> we now have the following samba/ldap setup:
>
> samba-3.0.34p1-cups-ldap
> openldap-server-2.3.43
>
> the samba-ldap configuration is:
> doing parameter ldap suffix = dc=foo,dc=ch
> doing parameter ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=Samba,ou=system
> doing parameter ldap user suffix = ou=Users,ou=Samba,ou=system
> doing parameter ldap group suffix = ou=Groups,ou=Samba,ou=system
> doing parameter ldap admin dn =
> "cn=SambaAdmin,ou=Users,ou=OpenLDAP,ou=system,dc=foo,dc=ch"
> doing parameter ldap delete dn = no
> doing parameter ldap passwd sync = no
> doing parameter ldap replication sleep = 6000
> doing parameter ldap timeout = 120
> doing parameter ldap ssl = No
>
> when starting the smbd things look ok:
> Attempting to find an passdb backend to match ldapsam:ldap://
> localhost/
> (ldapsam)
> Found pdb backend ldapsam
> smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
> for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EDUBS))]
> smbldap_search_ext: base => [dc=edubs,dc=ch], filter =>
> [(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=EDUBS))], scope => [2]
> The connection to the LDAP server was closed
> smb_ldap_setup_connection: ldap://localhost/
> smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
> ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server ldap://localhost/ as
> "cn=SambaAdmin,ou=Users,ou=OpenLDAP,ou=system,dc=edubs,dc=ch"
> ldap_connect_system: successful connection to the LDAP server
> ldap_connect_system: LDAP server does support paged results
> The LDAP server is successfully connected
> smbldap_get_single_attribute: [sambaAlgorithmicRidBase] = [<does not
> exist>]
> pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://localhost/ has a valid init
>

> it seems the first connection works:
> root:195# smbclient -L localhost -U foo.bar
> Password:
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[EDUBS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.34]
>
>        Sharename       Type      Comment
>        ---------       ----      -------
>        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (ICT Fileserver)
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection
> reset by peer.
> Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
> session request to LOCALHOST failed (Read error: Connection reset by
> peer)
> Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 (Connection refused)
> Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
> NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
>

> but any connection afterwards fails with this:
> root:199# smbclient -L localhost -U foo.bar
> Password:
> Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
> session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes
>
> in this state we don't see any packets going to the ldap server
> anymore.
> Have you seen this behaviour or do you have any hints how we could

Very strange is also teh fact, that the first connection works, but
gets interrupted in the middle somehow and then all subsequent
attempts using smbclient fail:

root:13# pgrep smbd
4268
30945
root:14# smbclient -U mbalmer -L tesla
Password:
Domain=[EDUBS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.34]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (ICT Fileserver)
         mbalmer         Disk      Home Directories
Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
root:15# smbclient -U mbalmer -L tesla
Password:
Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
session setup failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)

This is on OpenBSD 4.4/i386, btw.

- Marc