[Samba] two rules for [homes]?

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Tue Jul 14 19:25:55 MDT 2009

Todd Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I want users in one group to use one set of rules
> for [homes] and another set of users in a different group to a different set
> of rules for [homes].  Is this possible (and how)?

Sure is possible. I do this at the school I work for so that staff and
student homes get different settings.

I did it by removing the entire "[homes]" section from the normal
config, and creating 2 new files containing only this section. One is
called "homes-staff.conf" and the other "homes-students.conf". Using the
following line, I then include the correct one for the logged in user:
include = /etc/samba/homes-%G.conf

The %G is replaced by the primary group of the user who is connected.

TB