[Samba] recognizing netbios name

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Jul 10 12:30:55 MDT 2009

Robert,

I agree with Miguel, as basic networking is fairly straightforward.

Are your workstations using DHCP with the router acting as the DHCP
server?  If so, does the router have an option for declaring a WINS
server, and have you done so?
If the router doesn't have that option, have you manually enabled
netbios over tcp/ip and declared the WINS server on the clients?
If you're using static ip's, then you'll also have to manually configure
the workstations for WINS to work.

Run ps -ef | grep mbd.  You should see both smbd and nmbd if Samba is
fully active.

Good luck,
Dale