[Samba] Does anybody know a VFS module to filter files?

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Thu Jan 29 14:37:52 GMT 2009

guido at lorenzutti.com.ar wrote:
>> Walter Mautner wrote:

>>> "Hide unreadable = yes" stanza - together with "force create mode = 700"
>>> or
>>> something alike. That would in fact inhibit sharing files on that
>>> "share".
>>>

>> I want to make my question more clear: there is a samba share which points
>> /pathto/share for everybody. It has being working perfect for more than 5
>> years.
>> Everybody can read,write and delete on it. Now there are more than 100,000
>> files&folders in /pathto/share. I want to clean this folder by asking
>> people
>> to clean their own files. But who knows which file belongs to who? So I
>> want to
>> create a new share to point to the same share folder /pathto/share. If
>> anybody
>> maps this new network drive, he/she will only see the files belong to
>> them.
>>
>> I googled and found some similar VFS module for sorting files. I think we
>> can
>> make a bit changes on this VFS module and output only those files belong
>> to the
>> user who maps this new share(though it points to the same place
>> /pathto/share).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Allen
>>

> Why don't you change the permissions of the files, so only you can read
> your own files? Then... "hide unreadable".

You may misunderstand my question.The existing Samba works fine.
Changing permissions of the files on a shared map drive is not what
I want. Those files on /pathto/share are shared by everybody.
What I want is to create a new section in smb.conf which points
to the same folder /pathto/share, so anybody maps this new network
drive, he/she will only see the files belong to them.