[Samba] time sync issue

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Jan 16 01:27:57 GMT 2009

> I like the idea of fixing my NTP setup. It worked with the Windows DC,
> how can I find out why it doesn't work with Samba?

Just to clarify, do you actually have an NTP setup? Samba isn't an NTP
server and NTP has absolutely nothing to do with samba/domains/etc.

The "net time" command uses an SMB query to find the time at the remote
host, Samba is responsible for answering this query however this is only
used by "net time". When you set a machine to sync it's time with
another machine (via the Time and Date/Internet Time settings) it uses NTP.

If you don't already have it, you will need to install/configure ntpd on
your server and have it sync with a lower stratum host (you can make it
sync to itself if it doesn't have internet access but that isn't ideal).
Once it has had time to stabilise your clients should happily sync to it.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>