[Samba] unable to join XP/Vista to domain

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Jan 13 17:03:24 GMT 2009

I upgraded from samba 3.0.33 to samba 3.2.7 that ships with Fedora 10,
and now I can't join computers to the domain controller.  when I go to
my computer properties, computer name, change, and put in the domain
ADMIN and hit OK and put in the username and password of user awilliam
with SeMachineAccountPrivilege that worked in samba 3.0.33, but now with
3.2.7 I get the error:

The following error occurred attemping to join the domain "admin";

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

However, I can go to \\pdc\awilliam just fine.  and in ipconfig /all,
their WINS server is the IP of the pdc.  Any ideas?