[Samba] TDB Corruption.

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Jan 8 11:37:02 GMT 2009

Linux Addict wrote:
> Hello, I have relatively a large setup where RHEL 4 authenticating MS
> W2K3 R2. Every often a host may not be able to authenticate due tdb
> corruption and we had to rm the *.tdb and files and restart the winbind
> which would  create fresh tdb files.  I guess Redhat acknowledged  the
> issue here. http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-4842    My question is,
> is this something caused by samba itself or the underlying OS. If samba,
> are we tracking this?  I know I can use LDAP backend, but I am using RID
> to eliminate layer of admin work by not entering UIDs for each user.
> Any hint is appreciated.

How do you tell it is tdb corruption?
Are all tdbs corrputed or just some?
(Or why do you erase all of the tdb files?...)

TDB corruption has been seen on various versions of the reiser
file system due to broken implementations of memory mapping.
If your tdb files do reside on a reiser partition you might

  1. move them to some other partition (ext3, xfs, ...) or

  2. set "use mmap = no" in the [global] section of smb.conf,
     trading speed for reliability.

Generally, it is a good idea to run "tdbbackup" regularly on the
important tdb files (secrets.tdb, passdb.tdb, winbindd_idmap.tdb, ...)

Then you can simply restore your backup with "tdbbackup -v" if
corruption occurs. Also for doing file system backups, these
tdbbackup files are useful.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9