[Samba] [Solaris 9][ads] net ads testjoin error

Avron Gray agray at aeso.ca
Wed Jan 7 16:39:16 GMT 2009

Hello folks,

I have been able to successfully compile (MIT) kerberos (1.5.4) and
samba (3.0.28a) on a Solaris 9 (Kernel version: SunOS 5.9 Generic
122300-31 Aug 2008) host.
I was able to successfully join this host to a DEVDOMAIN

This is the smb.conf file that I used:
  [global]
  # If there are no settings here, Samba uses the default values for all
global settings
  security          = ads
  realm             = DEVDOMAIN.CA
  workgroup         = DEVDOMAIN
  encrypt passwords = yes
  server string     = %h Samba %v
  smb ports = 445
  disable netbios = yes
  name resolve order = hosts
  log file          = /var/log/samba/samba_log.%m
  log level         = 2
  # This include statement will grab the share configuration information
from an external file
  include           = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%h

Tested, and everything worked as expected. Shares listed in
/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.hostname were available, and all was good.
Next step, was to join the host to the production domain...

I changed all mention of DEVDOMAIN to DOMAIN in smb.conf.

However, when I run "net ads testjoin", I'm getting the following
error...

bash-2.05# net ads testjoin
[2009/01/07 09:27:34, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(228)
  kerberos_kinit_password TSTSMB09$@DOMAIN.CA failed: Cannot resolve
network address for KDC in requested realm
[2009/01/07 09:27:34, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(228)
  kerberos_kinit_password TSTSMB09$@DOMAIN.CA failed: Cannot resolve
network address for KDC in requested realm
Join to domain is not valid: Undetermined error

Is this related to the host having belonged to a different domain to
begin with? Or am I missing something bigger?