[Samba] Domain logins not working

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Tue Jan 6 04:56:07 GMT 2009

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:32:18PM -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
>

>> Samba wants the machines to have Unix accounts too!  I don't recall this
>> behaviour previously, and I note my old server didn't have them -
>>

> Samba has *always* behaved this way.
>
> Jeremy.

Why? I can understand user accounts for the various mappings, but what
is the purpose of having Unix machine accounts? Since my old server
didn't have them (not listed in the /etc/passwd file), it doesn't appear
that they are necessary for Samba to operate.

Anyway, any ideas on why I just can't get this to work this time? I
started back at square one and followed Samba by example, chapter 2,
except for the SID, domain name and some shares being defined, but it
just isn't working for me. As for the Howto collection, it's become
almost incomprehensible.  :)