[Samba] Samba performance issue

Fabien azertyzero at free.fr
Mon Jan 5 19:25:34 GMT 2009

Hello,

I've seen I'm not the only one impacted with this issue these times on
the mailing list :)

I did the following test (Debian packages) :

Server & Client : samba 3.2.5
mount -t smbfs : ~35Mo/s
mount -t cifs : ~35Mo/s
smbclient : ~80Mo/s

Server & Client : samba 3.0.24
mount -t smbfs : ~35Mo/s
mount -t cifs : ~35Mo/s
smbclient : ~60Mo/s

This is the first time I try smbclient.

There is a real big difference between mount and smbclient !

And it seems to be better to use the 3.2.5 version which is ~ 20Mo/s
better than the 3.0.24 version.

Again, all of this was tested without using the disks (buffer cache).

Do you know where does this difference comes from ?

Fabien