[Samba] Samba Mapped Drives on XP Computers and Wierdness

Nathaniel Staples Nathaniel at comtel.com.au
Mon Jan 5 03:56:05 GMT 2009

I have a samba server setup sharing a bunch of files across the company
network. Everyone has the relevant samba shares mapped to drive letters
on their computer on startup. All generally works great.

HOWEVER if you dig deep enough there seems to be some weirdness. As long
as you use the drive letter or a folder link from the DFS to navigate to
the shares then all is good. If you type in the network name eg
(\\delta\shares\radio_service\ <file:///\\delta\shares\radio_service\>
)  then you get a completely different file list.

It seems that files and folders that are created using the mapped drive
or the DFS CANNOT be seen or accessed by navigating directly. Also they
CAN NOT BE SEEN BY USING ls WHEN LOGGED IN AS ROOT at the keyboard
plugged into the server!!!

Files created directly on the server or in the direct navigation also
cannot be seen when navigating using the mapped drive - not all the time
anyway.....

It's really weird it's almost as if I have two completely different file
systems......

What does this mean for my backups as I can't even see the files when
logged onto the server?? How do I fix this and stop it from happening?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Nathaniel Staples

Network Admin

Comtel Pty. Ltd.