[Samba] net getlocalsid: is this a bug?

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri Jan 2 04:16:29 GMT 2009

I noticed the following:

Suppose that we have a server called "SMALLSERVER" working as a PDC for
"SMALLDOMAIN**".

When I enter "net getlocalsid" I get the following output:

    SID for domain SMALLSERVER is: S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx

But when I enter "net getdomainsid" I get:

    SID for local machine SMALLSERVER is:
S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx
    SID for domain SMALLDOMAIN is: S-1-5-21--xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx

Is this a bug or is it by design? It is somewhat confusing. Shouldn't
the output of "net getlocalsid" be "SID for *local machine* SMALLSERVER"
instead of "SID for domain SMALLSERVER"?

Maybe I am being picky but that got me confused for a while when trying
to debug a malfunctioning server...

Thank you!