[Samba] Input/Output error when saving to samba profile directory

Dave Newman davey.newman at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:28:49 GMT 2009

I've set up samba and ldap, based on the instructions at the howtoforge at

http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-samba-domain-controller-ubuntu7.10

Although I've used 8.04, rather than 7.10. It's running as a Virtual machine
on a dual core 3Ghz intel box.

It works fine, with one exception. Windows users can't write to their
profile directory.

I decided to mount the offending directory as a samba share on another linux
machine. I can read the contents fine, but trying to delete a file generates
an Input/Output error.

I can't see anything appearing in the logs. when I look in the samba logs
directory no additional log entries are made as a result of attempting to
delete the file.

I've pretty much run out of leads, so I'm at a dead end. Any ideas?

my smb.conf file is as follows:

[global]
   workgroup = LONSERVER
   server string = %h domain server
   wins support = yes
   interfaces = eth0
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 10
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
   obey pam restrictions = no
   ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=internal,dc=tcc-uk,dc=net
   ldap suffix = dc=internal,dc=tcc-uk,dc=net
   ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
   ldap user suffix = ou=Users
   ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
   ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
   ldap passwd sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n
*Retype*new*password*%n\n*all*authentication*tokens*updated*
   add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
   ldap delete dn = Yes
   delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
   add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
   delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
   add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
   delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
   set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
   domain logons = yes
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   logon path = \\LONSERVER\profiles\%U