[Samba] Cannot login from windows

Brandon Dwiel bdon003 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 04:13:55 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Michael Heydon <michaelh at jaswin.com.au>wrote:

>  I am using Samba 3.0.33 on Linux as the server, and have Linux, windows
>> XP, and Windows Vista clients.
>>
> I would suggest that until you have a basic working setup that you test
> using a Linux client (smbclient), it doesn't have all of the fancy stuff
> (cached credentials, etc) that will just confuse things. Are the XP and
> Vista clients home/pro/business/ultimate/etc? Home is a bit quirky under
> some circumstances.

It's XP Pro and Vista Ultimate

>   I have added user 'brandon003' with smbpasswd, I try logging in with that
>> username and the correct password but I get a message in Windows saying that
>> I do not have permissions.
>>
> What do you mean logging in? Does the Windows machine have a user with the
> same name and password as the samba box? or are you prompted for credentials
> when browsing to the share?

Oh, it would give me a pop-up window asking to log in.  I have the user
'brandon003' on both the samba box and the Vista machine.

> ... set the password the same as my vista logon and it works fine.
>
> That was it.  I was setting the password through smbpasswd to the password
of 'brandon003' on the samba box, not the Vista box.  I changed that and
commented out nearly everything in my global section and now it works.
:headsmack:

Thanks Michael