[Samba] using winbind to map existing unix to AD users

Christian McHugh christian.mchugh at nau.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:57:40 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 09:23:57 Tom Lieuallen wrote:
> It seems winbind is the solution for this, however it seems to want to
> generate the uids rather than using getpwent to look that up.

There are a few different plugins winbind can use to perform the uid<->sid
mapping. By default samba uses the tdb mapper which, as you describe, will
generate uid maps on the fly. In my environment we have uid/gid info populated
in active directory so our samba server is able to use the idmap_ad or
idmap_adex modules to lookup uid info from ad. Depending on your environment
you may be able to use the idmap_nss or idmap_ldap modules. See the idmap man
pages on http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/

Christian McHugh
Northern Arizona University