[Samba] Over 400 smbd pid's?

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Sat Feb 21 03:35:05 GMT 2009

At 03:32 AM Tuesday, 2/17/2009, you wrote -=>
>On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:07:28PM -0800, Ed Kasky wrote:
>
> > In this case, if it were acting up, I assume that I would be looking
> > for multiple instances of 0xc9292600 correct?
>
>Yes. But this time it seems it's a different fd. You first
>need to catch a stuck smbd, see with strace which fd it
>wants to write to, then look with lsof for that fd in that
>process and then find the other end with grepping for the
>corresponding 0x... value.
>
>Volker

Well, somehow things have been corrected and no runaway processes for
5 days at least.  I wish I could say for sure what was causing the
problem but the one thing that changed just before it all stopped was
that we powered off the one mac that was accessing the server.  We
have since rebooted it and have been using it to access some data
files with no problems.

I wish I had a better answer than that in case it starts up again but
that will be the first place I will look if it does.  Thanks again
for all your help by the way...

Ed

Randomly Generated Quote (268 of 1503):
A clever prophet makes sure of the event first.